If a person says: “I have abdominal pains,” then it is important to understand: the pain in the abdomen can hide the problems of any organs of the abdominal cavity, retroperitoneal space, small pelvis. The intestines (ileum, lean, large, sigmoid, colon, transverse intestine), appendix, stomach, liver, duodenum, spleen, ureters, kidneys, mesenteric (mesenteric) vessels of the intestine can give painful sensations to the abdomen. Therefore, pathologies can be gastroenterological, surgical, gynecological, urological in nature.
Types of pain
Stomach pains are very different:
- Acute and chronic . Acute pains occur suddenly, chronic pains develop gradually, their intensity increases step by step – sometimes over several weeks. In this case, a special type is formed by chronically recurrent abdominal pain. They can suddenly make themselves felt, and then also suddenly pass and resume after a certain period of time.
- Tonic and clonic . With tonic pains, the muscles are strongly tense, and compacted areas appear on the abdomen, an uncontrolled muscle contraction is observed. Tonic pains are accompanied by quite rhythmic spastic spasms.
- Burning (cutting) and aching – reminiscent of hunger.
The localization of pain can be the abdominal cavity, hypochondrium, zones above or below them.
A person who complains of abdominal pain may have different symptoms. Most often it manifests itself in the form of spasms, colic.
- Colic – attacks, primarily stitching (hence the name) pain. With colitis, a person has colitis in both sides, with appendicitis or inflammation of the ovaries – in the lower abdomen, with poisoning, the localization of colic can be in different parts of the abdomen and most often an additional symptom (vomiting, diarrhea) appears.
- Spasms are pains that are accompanied by involuntary muscle contractions. In this case, the skin turns pale. Pain can cause a person to faint. If the spasms are in inflammatory bowel diseases, stomach they are accompanied by fever. Gynecological problems are indicated by spasms accompanied by bleeding.
- Anginal pain is an unpleasant sensation with a strong burning sensation.
- Sharp pain in the area above the navel is a common occurrence with appendicitis.
- A feeling of “fullness” in the lower back may indicate problems with the colon
- Cyclic pains (either intensify or subside) are characteristic symptoms in diseases of the bladder and intestines.
- Pain with severe flatulence indicates a malfunction of the colon.
- Pain sensations against the background of itching of the anus are symptoms of rectal lesions.
- Unpleasant sensations in the abdomen , which intensify at rest and disappear with movement, are the result of circulatory problems.
What are the causes of abdominal pain, abnormalities in the abdominal organs and retroperitoneal space?
The cause of colic may be appendicitis, inflammation of the ovaries (in these cases, colic in the lower abdomen), poisoning, colitis. With colitis, a person has colitis in both sides. If the colic is cramping and at the same time is localized in the abdomen and in the lower back, the pain is more intense, the cause is most often in urolithiasis, kidney injuries or pyelonephritis. Colic in the navel can be a response to stimuli of the sensitive mesenteric plexuses of the intestine.
Among the common causes of paroxysmal spasms are intestinal obstruction, gastroduodenitis. And for spasms during urination in women, uterine endometriosis is most often.
If abdominal pains are accompanied by increased gas production, frequent urge to defecate, then the cause will most often be associated with diseases of the colon.
Ate abdominal pain – anginal, and at the same time the patient is worried about an expressive burning sensation – the cause is most often gastritis (inflammation of the gastric mucosa) or pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). If pain and burning are accompanied by strong tension of the muscles of the abdominal wall, and the person complains that he is pressing in the chest, the reason may be associated with heart pathologies: in particular, such pains are typical for 60% of patients with myocardial infarction.
The cause of abdominal pain, accompanied by low-grade fever (for a long time the temperature is kept at the level of 37.1-37.5 ° C ), most often are inflammatory bowel diseases.
Most often, abdominal pains are diseases of the intestines, stomach, pancreas, problems with the gall bladder, as well as hernias